Monday, April 09, 2007

Blog Blogger Blogged Bloggest


I saw this Maddox article today, and I was struck by how true it is. I've liked Maddox since I discovered him a few years ago, he always strikes a chord with me. Well, most of the time anyway. Its really funny how he takes apart the self-important blogs - the worst offenders are always the huge ones, like many of the famous feminist and/or political blogs.

The problem with this layout is that there's too much shit to click on. Seriously, who's ever going to click on all those links? The worst blogs are the ones that make every other word a hyperlink to another website so by the time you finish reading this sentence, you've forgotten what you were reading, or why you were reading it in the first place. Hey, this article is great but you know what would make it better? If I could read another article in the middle of it. Great design, morons.

If the thousands of mid-sentence links don't annoy you, the long slender columns of text will. Most of the screen on a blog is blank for an imaginary populace of readers still using 640x480 resolution. I didn't buy a 19" monitor to have 50% of its screen realestate pissed away on firing white pixels, you assholes. They don't print books on receipt paper for a reason. Every time I see this layout, I want to choke the creator with my dry, crackled, and bleeding hands for making my fingers so calloused from having to keep scrolling the mouse wheel to read your dumb "blog."
So true, so true. This is why my layout is the only one that spans text across the screen and doesn't outright suck (at least in my eyes).

Anyway, on to the article... http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish

No comments:

Post a Comment