Saturday, January 20, 2007

Google Reader

I just came across a really nice Google Labs product - Google Reader. I know a lot of sites use RSS feeds, but I never bothered to make a Live Bookmark for Firefox, because I'm on different computers all the time and Live Bookmarks didn't seem like what I wanted.

Well, I just saw Google Reader yesterday, and I've already added most of my favorite Men's Activism blogs to it. What you do if you want to start using Google Reader is just visit this URL: http://www.google.com/reader/. Here you sign into Google if you're not signed in already, and then just click "Add Subscription" on the left hand side, and enter the URLs of the sites you want to subscribe to.

After you're done adding, it gets the last 10 postings for you, and then you can read them at your leisure.

Why is this so brilliant? Well, once you subscribe, you can basically stop going to your favorite blogs to see if they have an update - as soon as they update, whether its twice a day like the Eternal Bachelor or once in a month like M is for Malevolent (j/k), it'll show up on your Google Reader page. So you can catch new posts as soon as they come in.

The best part is that you can add the Reader module to your Personalized Google Homepage, so you can have updates to your favorite blogs whenever you go to google.com.


If you use Firefox 2.0, which you should, its even simpler - sign into your Google Account, go to your favorite blogs, and click the RSS icon in the address bar. (RSS 2.0) It gives you a few options, you just select Google Reader, and then it adds the blog/feed to your Google Reader page.

6 comments:

  1. Can you post the feeds you subscribed? I'm feeling lazy today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete- That is rather brilliant, I like the idea. Also, if you have tabbed browsing you can watch all the webpages all at once and just refresh it when you want. I like tabbed browsing allot, I'll have to try out the google Reader for kicks and maybe I just might like it, ya never know till' ya try it, eh? Oh, yesterday I saw a quote from someone in a magazine at the library and I like it. Here's what it said, Quote, "If you believe in, support, look fondly on, hope for, and/or work towards equality of the sexes, you are a feminist."

    Have a nice Sunday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW Pete-

    Here's a link I want you to look at and tell me what you think.


    http://womensspace.wordpress.com/2007/01/17/i-am-a-monster-and-i-am-proud-robin-morgan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went and checked out Misformalevolent. After reading his comment about you, I think M is for Mangina. I posted a comment on his posting.

    Anonymous age 64

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys, appreciate the comments. It really is making life easier - the past few days I've exclusively relied on RSS/Google Reader to get updates to my favorite blogs.

    RE: "If you believe in, support, look fondly on, hope for, and/or work towards equality of the sexes, you are a feminist."
    If you are a fat, ugly and bitter cunt, you are probably a feminist.

    Equality of the sexes is such a bloody red herring - who the hell is going to decide when equality has been reached? When women are being killed as often as men in wars? When there are as many women in jails as men? When there are as many female sewer cleaners as men? When as many women as men die from power tools and other DIY?

    Anon 64, I saw that comment. Rock on! I wanted to reply to that commenter, but I figured no one was reading so I didn't bother. Sounds fishy, anyone implying men should take responsibility for digging us out of this mess gets my hackles up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One other cool thing about the Google Reader is that there is a link at the bottom of each article it lists, and this link says "Share." If you click on Share, it adds that particular posting to an RSS feed of your own. That means that all the most high-powered articles can be saved by you, and automatically redistributed to anyone. You just have to give out the RSS feed to your friends and fellow MRAs, especially those with Web sites. Then, all of the sudden, all of your favorite articles show up for everyone else. In other words, the cream rises to the top. All you have to do is click on "Share" whenever you like an article, and Google does the rest. Easy.

    ReplyDelete